Your host institution will issue you a transcript for the term you are enrolled. In some cases, you must request the transcript – check with your on-site contact for details. Transcripts are required in order to process any credit for your term abroad (including elective hours!).
Students attending UNC Faculty-Led Programs will not receive a separate host institution transcript. The faculty-led courses will appear directly on the UNC transcript.
- Transcripts must include the actual grade (numerical or letter) earned, not simply “passed” or “failed”.
- Host institutions must send printed transcripts directly to the UNC Study Abroad Office at the mailing address at the bottom of the screen, not via the student.
- Electronic transcripts are accepted. The host institution must email them directly to the Credit Transfer Specialist (firstname.lastname@example.org) or your Study Abroad Advisor.
The Study Abroad Office will notify you when your host institution transcript arrives. You should review your transcript immediately to ensure all grades are recorded accurately. Instructions for accessing your transcript are below.
How to obtain your transcript
Host institution transcript requests may take up to two weeks to fulfill. Please keep this in mind if you need to meet outside deadlines (i.e. graduate school applications, home institution requirements, etc).
UNC Students who studied abroad in 2018 and beyond
Log into your application page (heelsabroad.unc.edu) and look under Attached Documents. If the UNC Study Abroad Office has received your transcript, you will be notified, and it will be posted here. You can then download a PDF copy of your host institution transcript.
UNC Students or studied abroad prior to 2018 AND UNC students who need a certified copy of their host institution transcript
If you no longer have access to your study abroad application page OR you need a certified copy of your host institution transcript for a graduate school application or other purpose, complete the transcript request form by clicking the button below.*
*March 2020: Due to current conditions, there may be delays in accessing your transcript. Please submit your request but be advised our response may be delayed and/or your transcript may not be accessible at this time (many transcripts are located only in paper files). A staff member will contact you with an update once your request is reviewed. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
Please note: The Law School Admission Council and most medical, dental, and nursing schools will only accept original, official transcripts. Check to see if you must have an official transcript from the institution or third-party provider where you studied abroad. If so, you will have to contact your host institution or third-party provider directly to request an official transcript.
Non-UNC Students who study on UNC Study Abroad programs
Complete the transcript request form by clicking the button below to indicate how and where you would like your host institution transcript sent for the purposes of your home school.
- This request is for a copy of the host institution transcript ONLY, not the official UNC transcript.
- Official UNC transcripts can be ordered via the Office of the University Registrar for a fee here.
- It is the student’s responsibility to confirm with their home school the requirements for transcripts and take action on the appropriate requests.