UNC Study Abroad Fee
The UNC Study abroad Office (SAO) charges the Study Abroad Administrative Fee to provide core professional support services to UNC and visiting students participating in University approved study abroad programs, as well as parents and UNC Faculty & Staff. These services include:
- Review study abroad programs for compliance with standards of good practice to ensure students’ health, safety, and security.
- Evaluate risk and security of potential programs to ensure travelers’ health and safety and to manage the liability of the University following appropriate selection and approval process, in compliance with university guidelines and policies.
- Monitor and assess current partner programs to provide on-going risk assessment and management by monitoring health, safety, and security issues.
- Collaborate with Office of Risk Management to ensure enrollment of student and faculty participants in GeoBlue international insurance coverage.
- Monitor safety and security issues abroad and respond to student emergencies abroad 24/7 365 days a year, coordinating with campus Global Risk Response Team to respond to any crisis abroad.
- Maintain contact as needed with all students abroad and providing support in case of an emergency.
- Provide Faculty Program Leader Risk Management Training workshops to share best practices for risk management and provide support to students in the event of an emergency abroad.
- Develop and distribute comprehensive Faculty Program Leader Emergency Handbook, which provides appropriate response guidance for a wide variety of group and individual emergencies.
Program Development & Logistics
- Develop, implement, and administer safe and accessible programs around the world that meet high standards for academic quality of the University.
- Work closely with faculty and staff to develop and implement UNC faculty-led programs, allowing Carolina courses to be taught across the globe.
- Maintain relationships with international and U.S. based partners who provide educational opportunities for our students.
- Negotiate and manage MOUs, exchange agreements, and contracts with partner institutions and organizations.
- Continuously monitor and work to improve our programs.
- Develop and maintain a single database of program information, student application materials, and emergency contact information and itineraries for all participants.
- Set program costs, ensuring budgeting meets institutional procedures and ensure fiscally responsible programs.
- Facilitate student billing of program costs with UNC Cashiers.
- Receive invoices and process payments, track revenue and expenses, and ensure balanced budget per University regulations.
- Process contracts, stipends, and travel for UNC Faculty who lead study abroad programs.
- Manage over 50 scholarships accounts, coordinating with Office of Scholarships and Student Aid, Development, and other offices to award over $800,000 each academic year.
- Assist students, parents, and the University community throughout the study abroad process.
- Advise undergraduate and graduate students from the College and across campus on their particular learning goals, over 400 programs, and all phases of the study abroad process.
- Process and review of over 2000 applications per year, submitting information to host institutions and organizations.
- Provide pre-departure orientation for every student to prepare them for their experience abroad.
- Enroll students in study abroad courses, ensuring continued enrollment at UNC while they are abroad.
- Work with offices across campus such as Office of Scholarships and Student Aid, Registrar, Cashiers, Dean of Students, and others help to facilitate the study abroad experience for as many students as possible.
- Collaborate with DUSs and Registrar to facilitate the transfer of credit once students return to campus.