Steps for Requesting Credit
Upon approval/acceptance to your study abroad program, and within 30 days of your program start date
Login to the Study Abroad Student Credit Portal (link provided upon approval/acceptance) and review the list of pre-approved courses on the Request Pre-Approved Courses tab. You can filter by your program to help narrow the list. Note: this is not an exhaustive list of available courses or programs, and courses listed here are not guaranteed to be available at the host institution in the term you intend to study. This list will update as new courses are reviewed and approved.
- These pre-approved courses have already been reviewed by the department and show the UNC credit that you would receive, provided you earn the equivalent of a UNC “C” or better.
- If you see a course you wish to take, please click the green plus sign (+) for Add to My Course List. You will now see the course on the My Course List tab. Please allow time for the Study Abroad Office to process your request.
If your intended course(s) are not listed on the pre-approved course list, select the Request New Course Review tab and click the button to Request Course Review.
- Follow the steps to enter your program name and course information. Please make sure to upload a syllabus and provide a weblink and/or any additional documentation, if available.
- Your course will be routed to the appropriate department for review.
Review the status of your pre-approved courses and courses under review on the My Course List tab.
- Pre-approved courses will show as ‘pre-approved’ and will update to the listed pre-approved credit after the Study Abroad Office processes your request.
- New courses submitted for review will show as ‘pending’ and will update with UNC course credit once a department has issued a decision on the course.
Upon program completion
Review the My Course List tab in the Study Abroad Student Credit Portal and ensure it only includes courses you completed.
- You can use the Remove From Course List minus button (-) to request that a course is removed. Please allow time for the Study Abroad Office to process your removal requests.
Your host institution will issue an official transcript for the term you are enrolled. In some cases, you must request the transcript – check with your on-site contacts or your study abroad advisor for more information. Transcripts are required in order to process any credit for your term abroad (including elective hours!). Note that it can take anywhere from 1 to 4 months (or more) before a transcript arrives to the Study Abroad Office. You will receive an email notification when we have received your transcript. If you have NOT received a notification within 4 months of completing your program, please contact email@example.com.
Grades & Transfer Credit
The following grading requirements and implications will apply:
- Passed credit (courses where a “C” or better is earned) will be reflected on the UNC transcript as a pass and satisfy the approved requirement. The passed credit will not be calculated in your GPA.
- Failed credit (courses where a “C-” or less is earned) will be reflected on the UNC transcript AND impact the UNC GPA as the equivalent of an “F” grade
Please review the Credit Hour and Grade Conversion Chart for specific details about how grades and credit are calculated on your program.
Once we have ALL credit request information, ALL credit decisions, and your host institution transcript, we will be able to process your credit. Please be patient, as the process can take a few months after you return.