Cancellation/Withdrawal Information and Refunds for UNC Study Abroad Programs
Cancellation, Withdrawal & Refund Information
When a student applies to study abroad, they are required to read and digitally sign an electronic document with the information below, signifying their understanding of how withdrawing from a program will impact any funds charged by UNC for their study abroad experience.
Cancellation/Withdrawal Information and Refunds for UNC Study Abroad Programs – copy of student application document
I understand and agree to the following regarding a cancellation or withdrawal from my study abroad program. This information applies to ALL programs.
- I understand that the Application Fee is non-refundable. This amount covers the cost of the application process.
- I understand that the Study Abroad Fee (posted on the program budget) will be billed to my student account for the term that I applied to study abroad when I accept the offer to participate in my Study Abroad program and sign the Contract, which confirms my participation in the program. If I withdraw after signing the Contract, I will forfeit the Study Abroad Fee. Information about the services covered by the Study Abroad Fee is available on the UNC Study Abroad website.
- I understand that the Study Abroad Fee is only refundable if I receive notification that I am not accepted by the host institution or organization abroad or the program itself is officially canceled.
- Refunds of other amounts billed to my UNC account will be awarded according to the withdrawal/refund schedule outlined below:
Withdrawal before departure: If I withdraw or am withdrawn for any reason at any point after I sign the Contract but before departure, I will be responsible for any amounts paid on my behalf by the Study Abroad Office that are non-recoverable costs, which are determined by the cancellation and refund policies set by the host institution or organization. These costs may include but are not limited to tuition and fees charged by the host institution or organization abroad, housing, program related events and excursions, program administrative costs, transportation, housing, withdrawal penalties, or other fixed group expenses (e.g. program leader expenses). Withdrawing from the program does not release me from the obligation to pay for any amounts paid on my behalf by the Study Abroad Office. The later that I withdraw, the less likely it is that a refund can be made.
Withdrawal after departure: I understand that no refunds will be issued for any fees charged by UNC if I choose to withdraw or am withdrawn from a study abroad program after the program start date.
- I understand that any account charges not paid by the due date may result in cancellation of registration. This cancellation could apply to both the current and the following term.
- I understand that if I am receiving UNC Financial Aid and I withdraw from my study abroad program, I am responsible for contacting the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid. Withdrawing from my program may impact my financial aid package.
- I understand that I have the option to purchase fully refundable airline tickets and/or trip cancellation insurance to safeguard myself against losses or penalties should a program be canceled or the dates change. The UNC Study Abroad Office assumes no responsibility for such losses or penalties.