Use this page to view study abroad programs that offer research experience for academic credit. There are domestic, international, and virtual offerings.
Benefits of Conducting Research Abroad
- Broaden your network of research connections for future career growth
- Expand your perspective of research as practiced in different settings globally
- Access research opportunities that aren’t available on campus, including field studies
- Develop cross-cultural competence that opens up a wealth of immediate personal and long-term professional opportunities
- Build new skills and traits that employers seek such as curiosity, flexibility, increased confidence, independence, initiative, and problem-solving
Types of Opportunities
- Programs that fully focus on research
- Programs that include a research course option
- Student initiated programs where a student finds a research opportunity for credit to pursue
Finding Programs & Courses
View featured programs & check out the full list of programs below.
Learn more about earning credit on study abroad programs.
Engaging in research abroad allows students to benefit from two of the most impactful educational experiences simultaneously. Learning about a new culture and participating in cutting-edge research will also make Carolina students highly competitive in today’s global economy.– Troy Blackburn, Associate Dean for Undergraduate Research, College of Arts & Sciences
ECUADOR | UNIVERSIDAD SAN FRANCISCO DE QUITO – GALAPAGOS
TANZANIA | SCHOOL FOR FIELD STUDIES
NORTH CAROLINA | UNCIE HIGHLANDS
There are many more programs with a research component. Check them out to find the best fit.
Meet Emily Pender
Major/Minor: Psychology, B.S. and Economics, B.A. with Medicine, Literature, and Culture Minor
Program & Location: SIT Kenya: Global Health and Human Rights, Kisumu, Kenya
Term: Spring 2019