Phillips Passport Initiative
The Phillips Passport Initiative provides funding for first year and new transfer undergraduate students to obtain their first U.S. passport. The mission of the initiative is to encourage students to participate in global experiences while at Carolina. Award recipients will be provided with resources to explore a wide array of global opportunities including studying, interning, service learning, and researching abroad.
One hundred awards of $175 each will be available to cover the application cost for a first-time adult U.S. passport (currently $165) plus the cost of passport size photos (approximately $10.) Please note this initiative does not award funding to students who have previously held a U.S. passport or who are seeking to renew a U.S. passport.
To be eligible to apply for an award in 2022, the student must:
- Be a first year or new transfer undergraduate student at UNC Chapel Hill in 2022
- Have never before held a U.S. passport at any time since birth
- Be eligible to apply for a first-time adult U.S. passport
For information about applying for a first-time adult U.S. passport, visit this link: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html
- June 1: Applications open
- August 1: Applications due
- September 1: Award notification
Award recipients will be required to:
- Upload proof of passport application submission by December 1
- Upload copy of passport by April 1
- Complete periodic questionnaires about how passport is utilized
- Share experiences with future prospective applicants (optional)