This page provides information regarding specific requirements concerning the exchange program.
- Exchange Students: A Study Abroad Fee of $100 will be assessed the first semester of enrollment.
- Global Visiting Students Program: An Administration fee of $1,200 will be assessed the first semester of enrollment in the Global Visiting Students Program
- On-Campus Housing: International students can select from the 31 campus residence halls. Double occupancy rooms are the only option. Apartment style housing is limited. Click here for additional housing information.
- Off-Campus Housing: International students can reside in off campus housing. You would be responsible for identifying the type of housing and make the necessary arrangements.
Students are not required to purpose a campus meal plan, but it is strongly recommended. Several meal plan options are available that can meet a student’s dining habits. Click here for details and description of the various meal plan options.
All entering students must meet the immunization requirements, which are detailed here.
The TB screening will be administered after arrival at UNC Chapel Hill.
Campus Health will administer any missing immunizations. There will be fee for each immunization.
All students are required to have health insurance coverage. International students can enroll in the university insurance program, Student Blue. Exchange students can waive out the Student Blue insurance and substitute it for a preferred insurance. All preferred insurance policies meet the following requirements to be considered and approved:
- Minimum total benefit/coverage of $100,000 (USD) per accident or illness
- Plan deductible of no more than $500 (USD)
- Minimum of $50,000 (USD) for medical evacuation
- Minimum of $25,000 (USD) for repatriation
- Policy must be active for the entire duration of the academic semester
Students cannot start the process of waiving out of the mandatory insurance until after acceptance to the exchange program. More details about the specific waiver process will be provided post-acceptance.
International students at UNC are eligible to use the university’s Campus Health Service (CHS), which can provide care for minor illnesses and accidents, immunizations, injections, and other medical services. For specialized treatment, students are referred to medical specialists in the community. Click here for more information about CHS, including services available, hours of operation, and important phone numbers.
International exchange students will apply for an F1 visa. This visa will allow you to enter the US 30 days prior to the program start date and depart the US 60 days after the program end date. You will submit the required visa documents to UNC Chapel Hill for review and approval. The processing time can take 2-4 weeks. Upon approval, the I-20 form will be sent to you. This form is required to schedule the visa appointment. It is important that you submit the required visa documents in a timely manner to avoid delay in receiving the I-20 form. This process will begin post acceptance.
Although Chapel Hill North Carolina is located in the southern region of the United States, the weather does change with every season. As indicated below the winters can be mild and summers are often very hot and humid. Spring and fall are often warm. But you need to be prepared for each season and bring the appropriate clothing.
- Fall (September 23 – December 21) Temperatures range from a high of 27C in September to a possible low of -1C in December.
- Winter (December 22 – March 19) Temperatures range from a high 12C and a low of -1C or colder.
- Spring (March 20 – June 19) Temperatures range from a high of 17C to 30C and a low of 3C to 18C as the months progress.
- Summer (June 20 – September 22) Temperatures range from a high of 30C to 35C and a low of 18C to 20C.
All buildings are air conditioned during the summer months. During the fall and winter months, it is recommended that you bring plenty sweaters, a heavy coat and boots as the temperature tends to drop very low. This is especially true concerning parts of the US where the winter season is very cold. So, if your travel plans include these locations during the fall and winter months, those articles of clothing will be essential.
The closest airport is Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU). Taxi and car sharing services are available at the airport. Some taxis will have a flat fee to UNC Chapel Hill. It is suggested that you wait until your receive their I-20 form before making travel arrangements.
All exchange students and Global Visiting Students are required to attend orientation at the start of the exchange program. Orientation is a full day session scheduled the day before the first day of class. Attendance is mandatory. Specific dates and times will be provided after you are accepted.