Earning credit in Fall 2020 or before

Earning Credit in Fall 2020 or Before

The Basics

UNC faculty-led programs offer graded credit that factors into your UNC GPA for any course taught by a UNC professor.

Students on hybrid faculty-led programs may earn both graded and transfer credit. Please see the “all other programs” drop down below for information about requesting credit for your transfer credit courses.

Any course taken abroad taught by a non-UNC professor will be eligible for transfer credit, noted as TREQ on your transcript.

  • Passed credit (courses where a “C” or better is earned) will transfer as TREQ and fulfill the approved requirements.
  • Failed courses (courses where a “C” or less is earned) will not transfer.

Study abroad transfer credit does not impact your UNC GPA.

  1. Meet with your Academic Advisor before applying to discuss academic planning and degree requirements. This is imperative if you have a high number of transfer credit hours at UNC.
  2. Research course and credit information for your study abroad program, including online course catalogues. Familiarize yourself with the academic system of the host institution, including credit and grade equivalencies posted on the program brochures.
  3. Save ALL course materials and work produced, syllabi, reading list, papers, artwork, et cetera, to support your credit transfer requests.
  4. Request credit by filling out the appropriate credit request form.

Information for Students who Studied Abroad in Spring or Fall 2020

  • Students may earn credit for coursework taken/completed online.
  • Students may earn credit for courses taken as ‘pass/fail’. A grade of ‘pass’ or the equivalent at the host institution is required for credit to transfer.
    • This applies if students elect to take courses as ‘pass/fail’ or equivalent, or if the host institution changes to this grading basis without student choice.
  • Students taking courses for a grade should earn the equivalent of a UNC “C” or better for credit to transfer.
  • If students earn a “W” on their host institution transcript for a course, this will not be reflected on the UNC transcript and no credit will transfer.
  • Students not enrolled in or earning the equivalent of at least 12 UNC credits should contact their study abroad advisor.